Belfour Back With Stars

Archived from 2000-01 season.

NHL teams

Dallas Stars goalie Ed Belfour returned to the team in an apologetic mode on Tuesday, admitting that his temper got the best of him again.

"Everybody knows I'm emotional. I've got a pretty good temper," he said. "In certain situations, it's better for me to walk away instead of taking it face on."

Belfour's suspension was lifted after he met with coach Ken Hitchcock, general manager Bob Gainey and assistant GM Doug Armstrong in Atlanta, where the Stars play the Thrashers on Wednesday night.

"It's definitely good to be back with the guys," Belfour said. "The main thing was a chance to sit down, talk about it and move forward."

Belfour found himself in the middle of another controversy as he left a team practice Saturday morning after a dispute with Stars coach Ken Hitchcock and was officially listed as AWOL by the team.

Belfour was reportedly unhappy with Hitchcock's decision to start backup goalie Marty Turco against the Boston Bruins on Saturday night. During the practice, Belfour refused Hitchcock's request to go back on the ice for more shooting drills. Belfour responded with an expletive and left the rink.

"Ed called me today, but I'm not going to make any comments until it is worked out," Stars captain Derian Hatcher said. "I don't think anyone saw this coming. Right now, it is out of our control. It is between Bob Gainey and Eddie, but it is safe to say that for the rest of this road trip, Marty Turco is our No. 1 goalie."

"This team has gone through a lot of adversity over the past few years and will continue to because it is a part of the game," Hitchcock said. "We are pretty lucky right now because, in Tabaracci, we have the hottest goalie in the IHL who is joining us."

The Stars scrambled for the second goalie and recalled Tabaracci under emergency conditions from the Utah Grizzlies of the International League. Tabaracci was with the team in Chicago, where they were scheduled to play the Wolves.

The incident comes 10 months after Belfour was arrested following a fight with a security guard in a hotel. Witnesses at the hotel said Belfour appeared to be intoxicated at the time. Belfour was placed on two years' probation on Nov. 3 after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest.

Contact The HockeyNut - Front Page - Archive

Copyright©1997-2000 The HockeyNut