Trading on deadline
Archived from 1998-99 season.
The NHL trading deadline came and passed today. As excepted there was a flurry of activity as teams were jockeying for the best position in the stretch run and the playoffs.
The busiest team was the Detroit Red Wings acquiring Chris Chelios, Wendel Clark, Ulf Samuelsson and Bill Ranford. It seems the Wings felt they were several ingredients short of defending the championship succesfully.
Here are the key trades of the day:
- Detroit acquired left wing Wendel Clark and a 1999 sixth-round draft pick from the Tampa Bay Lightning for goaltender Kevin Hodson and a 1999 second-round pick.
- The Chicago Blackhawks traded defenseman Chris Chelios to Detroit for defenseman Anders Ericksson, 1999 first-round draft pick and 2001 first-round draft pick.
- Detroit acquired goaltender Bill Ranford from Tampa Bay for a conditional draft pick in 1999.
- The New York Rangers traded defenseman Ulf Samuelsson to Detroit for future considerations.
- The Buffalo Sabres acquired Joe Juneau and a third-round draft pick from the Washington Capitals for defenseman Alexei Tezikov.
- The Montreal Canadiens traded center Vincent Damphousse to the San Jose Sharks for yet-to-be determined draft picks.
- Colorado acquired center Dale Hunter and a 2000 third-round draft pick from the Washington Capitals for a 1999 second-round draft pick.
- The New Jersey Devils acquired veteran center Sergei Nemchinov from the New York Islanders for a fourth-round draft pick in 1999.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs acquired center Yanic Perreault from the Los Angeles Kings for right wing Jason Podollan and a 1999 third-round pick.
- The St. Louis Blues re-acquired right wing Blair Atcheynum from the Nashville Predators Tuesday for a 2000 sixth-round draft pick.
- The Vancouver Canucks traded veteran center Peter Zezel to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks for future considerations.
- The Edmonton Oilers traded forward Kevin Brown to the New York Rangers for forward Vladimir Vorobiev.
- The Dallas Stars acquired center Derek Plante Buffalo for a second-round pick.
- The Calgary Flames traded defenseman Chris O'Sullivan to the New York Rangers for defenseman Lee Sorochan.
- The Ottawa Senators traded right wing Chris Murray to the Chicago Blackhawks for right wing Nelson Emerson.
- Montreal traded right wing J-F Jomphe to the Phoenix Coyotes for future
- Phoenix traded defenseman Jason Doig and a sixth-round pick in 1999 to the New York Rangers for defenseman Stan Neckar.
- Los Angeles traded defenseman Steve Duchesne to the Philadelphia Flyers for defenseman Dave Babych and a fifth-round pick in the 2000 NHL entry draft.
- The Florida Panthers trade defenseman Rhett Warrener and a fifth-round pick in 1999 to Buffalo for defenseman Mike Wilson.
- Edmonton acquired Jason Smith from Toronto for second- and fourth-round picks in 1999.